Saturday, April 9, 2011

Swedish Meatballs

I'm sorry that I havn't posted this week. I started a temp job and have to get used to the normal 9-5 grind (well its 8-4 but ya know lol). Today's recipe is something i've been eating forever; Swedish Meatballs! No, these aren't the frozen ones you find as you check out at Ikea, or meatballs from the grocery store. These are simple, non-time consuming greatness! Enjoy!

The recipe below makes 6 decently sized meatballs. 3 per person was good enough for us, but some people eat more. Use your judgement and double if necessary.

Meatballs

1/2 pound ground beef
1 egg
1 tbl milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbl butter

In a meduim bowl combine all ingredients except for butter. Roll into 6 evenly sized meatballs. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium pan, melt butter over medi heat. saute meatballs for 3 minutes on each side. Meatballs should be browned. Do not discard drippings. Leave them in the pan you will use them later. Transfer meatballs to a small baking dish and cook until done (160 deg) about 20 minutes.

Sauce

Pan drippings
2 tbl flour
1 cup water
2 tbl milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Return pan drippings to the stove over low heat. Whisk in flour. Mixture should have a paste like consistancy. Slowly add water, whisking constantly, until heated. Whisk in milk, salt and pepper. Let reduce to sauce like consistancy.

Typically, swedish meatballs are served over egg noodles, but can be served with rice, potatoes or anything you please.

All in all this should be a 30 minute meal. Good luck and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn! This is Lyra. I will add your blog to my daily food blogs that I check haha. I'm sure you will have some yummy, creative recipes :)

    I keep telling Brian he needs to make one of these ... even just as a place to record our favorite recipes (and somewhere to eventually look back through the entries and get dinner ideas when we can't think of anything).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lyra! I figure I've got all this time on my hands I might as well share my ideas! Plus it keeps my food skills polished since I dont work in a kitchen anymore

    ReplyDelete