Sunday, March 11, 2012

Honeybee Cookies

Well, it's been a while, but I'm hoping to be able to post more now that Emily and I have settled into a routine and I'm doing more cooking since I'm home all day. Today's recipe is for a sweet treat that isn't too bad on the hips or the wallet. It's a pretty simple recipe as far as cookies go, and while the initial dough was very strong in honey flavor, the cookies came out with a mild, yet definitely present taste of honey and cinnamon. It came from my Allrecipes.come app and I made just a few changes. Here goes...

Honeybee Cookies -- Yields about 36 cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (light)
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Oven temp 375 degrees, bake for 7-9 minutes (edges will be browned, tops will be shiny)

** I used 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup white flour for a slightly healthier cookie.
** If  you want a nice sweet/salty flavor balance (which I love), add a little more salt to the batter, or sprinkle a small amount of kosher or sea salt over the cookies before baking. Yum!
** I added a pinch more cinnamon (like 3/4 of a tsp ish) for a more prominent cinnamon flavor

Combine the butter, brown sugar and honey in a medium bowl. Beat until smooth. Add the egg, beating again until smooth. In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Slowly beat into the wet mixture until dough forms, scraping sides a few times to incorporate everything. Let the dough chill in the fridge for about 10 minutes to prevent cookies from being flat. I waited to preheat my oven and let them chill until the oven was ready.

Drop by teaspoonful onto greased baking sheets. Bake. Allow the cookies to sit on the sheet a good 3-5 minutes before removing to wax paper or a cooling rack (this allows them to firm up first).

I think these would also be great with raisins added, but Cal isn't a raisin fan, so next time maybe I'll do half and half.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment