Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Two Minute Brownie Mug

I was browsing through the food and drink section of the beloved Pinterest page when I came across something called the Two Minute Brownie Mug. I was quite intrigued, as I love brownies, but when I make a full pan, we either eat the entire thing in about two days, which is in no way good for my waistline or, I'm sure, my newborn's sugar intake. So, I copied down the recipe onto my handy dandy whiteboard that hangs in my kitchen for just this purpose, and I had at it. Now, I don't own any ramekins (yet.. i will eventually buy a set of these wonderful dishes, as they are very useful in cooking for just two people), so I did just what the title suggested, and use two coffee mugs. The thing that I found most impressive was that this particular recipe eliminated the use of egg by incorporating milk instead. Using one egg in a cup for one brownie would cause some issue, I do believe, so I was tempted to try this milk idea.

Here is the recipe, which I followed (almost) to a T...

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
2 T canola oil
2 T Milk, coffee or water

Combine all ingredients into the mug or ramekin that you will be cooking in, stirring until you have a thick paste. Microwave on high for 90 seconds, checking every 30 seconds as microwaves vary. You want a nice, spongy but gooey brownie.

I used the milk option, as I am not a big coffee fan, nor did I have any on hand, and I refuse to use water in baking unless absolutely necessary, as it adds no flavor, only liquid (yes, I'm that picky). The only change I made to the recipe was to add two caramels to the center of the brownie before cooking. I did make that stupid mistake of cooking both at the same time, which causes the time to vary. So I cooked them for about 2 and a half minutes, which caused them to be slightly overdone, but they tasted amazing. Just like a brownie, satisfying that chocolate craving perfectly.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with this recipe and will be adding it to my recipe box for that "I need chocolate now!" craving time, or for a quick and simple dessert when you're in a dessert mood. I did not photograph the result, as it looked a bit messy and I was dying to eat it, but for a picture of the final brownie, and a photographic step by step recipe, please visit the original site here. Next time, I think I'll cook them one at at time and add chocolate chips or peanut butter for something different.


Enjoy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment