Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Tequila Lime Sugar Cookies


As tradition stands, we celebrated Cinco de Mayo with tacos and margaritas. Well, we had quesadillas, but close enough. Naturally, I wanted to make some sort of baked item to finish our night off right. I chose these cookies, found on Pinterest, and was sadly disappointed. Luckily, I made them early enough to find out they were nothing like the name states, and had time to make some much more delectable Margarita Cupcakes (the recipe for which will be posted as well).

But, back to the dreaded Tequila Lime Sugar Cookie... I'll give the recipe this.. they do taste like lime, and they do contain Tequila.. but that's where they stop being truthful. When looking at the ingredient list, they sounded delish; and don't get me wrong, they were pretty darn good, but they just didn't live up to their name. They contain lime and orange zest, which pair well together and give them an awesome citrus-y vibe. The tequila is lacking, however. If you put it in the title, make sure it plays a key role in the flavor! I don't want to be punched in the face by the sting of the alcohol, but I would like to be able to taste that sweet agave nectar. Also, a sugar cookie, this was not. The texture, consistency and flavor played more to the tune of a shortbread cookie. Now, you were supposed to roll them, chill them, and cut them into quarter inch thick cookies, but I chose to teaspoon drop mine. That shouldn't change the texture, mind you, just the baking time because they're thicker. Now, if this is what you are looking for, excellent, but I was looking for a sugar cookie.

Here is the recipe, as followed:

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 egg yolks at room temp
pinch of salt
4 tsp tequila
grated zest of 2 limes
grated zest of half an orange
2 c flour
white sugar for garnishing

cream the butter and powdered sugar together. add 1 of the egg yolks, mix well. add salt, tequila and zests. mix well. slowly incorporate flour until dough forms. turn out dough onto table, roll into ball, cut in half. wrap and chill for 30 minutes. after chilling, roll into logs about 1 inch thick. Chill 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk remaining egg yolk in a small bowl until thin enough to brush onto cookies. spread white sugar on wax paper. brush dough with egg yolk and roll in sugar. cut logs into 1/4" cookies, bake 12-14 minutes.

Next time I think I'll up the tequila a bit. I didn't mind the shortbread taste, which I believe comes from the powdered sugar. Subsituting white sugar may change that issue. I will definitely play around with this recipe in hopes of getting it just right.

Find the original page here

I'll check back later after trying these again.. until next time

enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment