Sunday, November 4, 2012

Crock Pot Applesauce

There is nothing better than walking into your house after a day out in the cold to the warm, delicious smell of cinnamon and apples. Except maybe eating warm cinnamon and apples in the form of crock pot applesauce. This recipe is so simple that, when I found it, I kicked myself for not thinking it up myself. Pretty much anything you can do in a pot on the stove can be done in a crock pot, with minimal time and no need to watch it. Duh!

So, I set to work. I broke out my huge crock pot (I have two) and plugged the old bugger in. My neighbor across the street has a huge apple tree in his front yard and he invites the neighborhood every year to pick them at will, as to not have a ton of apples to clean up at the end of the season. So, I grabbed the 6' ladder from the basement (I'm not really a tree climber), and headed on over. Between Cal and I, we picked about 2 1/2 grocery bags full of apples. I made pies. I made bread. I made dumplings. I made sliced apples and plain applesauce for Emily. And then, I made this applesauce. Sadly, I still have apples sitting in my kitchen. So, more applesauce it is!

Here goes... it's so simple.. ready....

Step one: get out your crock pot
Step two: peel, core and quarter 8 apples, toss them in the pot
Step three: add 1 strip of lemon peel, 1 tsp of lemon juice, 1/2 tsp cinnamon OR 1 cinnamon stick, 5 tsp light brown sugar
Step four: cover and turn on your crock pot.

No need to stir in the ingredients. No need to add water. Just cover and turn it on. Let it cook for about 4 hours.
*I did stir it halfway through, just to see how it was doing, but it's not necessary*

When it's done, you can puree it to make it super smooth if you want, but I like a couple of apple chunks in my sauce here and there. From here, you can jar it, container it, etc... store it how you will. I've canned 2 jars and had 2 in the fridge.

Sorry for the lack of pictures. It's applesauce and I didn't think about it. If you need a visual, go here to the original page I found through Pinterest.

Now go make yourself a healthy, delish treat and revel in the simplicity!

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment