Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sweet Potato Tots


Tater Tots: One inch nuggets of potato-y goodness. I've eaten plenty in my day, but never had I ever thought of actually making them. Then, there I was on Pinterest (big surprise) and BAM ... there it was... Homemade Tater Tots. Naturally, I just had to make them. They really are better than french fries. There's no denying it. 

So, I copied down the most simplistic recipe I think I've ever seen. At least, one involving a potato... I didn't even bother copying it to the white board, it's that simple. And, I waited. I waited for Emily to take her nap. The recipe involves fine grating the potato, and I wasn't really up for that challenge with a one year old running around. While I waited, I tried to figure out what to make with the tots. Yes, I decided on my dinner side dish before my entree. It happens. A short text conversation with my sister later, we decided on burgers. Burgers and tater tots for dinner. Yum!

So, Emily finally took her nap, and I did my usual first. I spent 30 minutes on the treadmill, then up I came to grate some potatoes. Yes, I went right from working out to frying food.... don't judge me.

I had decided to go with sweet potatoes in an attempt to make them a little  healthier. The original recipe called for 3 medium sized potatoes to feed 5 people. So, I was going to halve it to serve our 2 and a half. So, I used one sweet potato (they're pretty big), fine grated it using my box grater, and laid it out on paper towels. Now, the recipe says to make sure they're dried well, so I squeezed as much water out of those taters as I could, and put them back into the bowl. I added 2 tablespoons of flour, some salt and pepper and gave them a mix. I shaped them into little once inch logs (I was able to get 15 out of one potato), and put them in the fridge to chill a bit while the oil heated. I pan fried them this time, to make sure the recipe held true and they didn't fall apart. The last thing I needed was little bits of potato all over my deep fryer. Next time, though, they're definitely going in the deep fryer! So I fried them off, and set them to cool. They'll be reheated in the oven come dinnertime. Naturally, I tasted one... and boy are they scrumptous! The next time I see a sale on potatoes, you can be sure I'll be picking some up and making a large batch of these beauties to pop in the freezer!

So, as the original recipe from Can You Stay For Dinner? says:

3 medium sized potatoes
1/4c flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4c canola oil (for frying)...

Peel and fine grate your potatoes, drying well (the dryer the better). Add flour, salt and pepper and mix well. Form into 1" logs. Fry until golden brown on all sides. 

The best part about them... one serving (about 5 tots in my case) is only around 94 calories! (I calculated this based on the fact that they only really absorb about a tablespoon of the oil you're frying them in). So, they're really not all that bad for you, compared to white potatoes! Woot!

Alright, I'm off to prep some burgers (yay!) and fold some laundry (boo!).

Until next time...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment