Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chicken and Spinach Lasagna Rolls with Tomato Alfredo Sauce


I've been seeing these lasagna rolls everywhere lately, and decided it was about time for me to give them a try. I wanted to forego the traditional lasagna flavors and decided to kick it up a notch with some leftover Cornish game hen meat, red bell pepper and some spinach (shhh, don't tell Cal). So, I took some ricotta cheese, grated up a bit of Asiago that we had in our cheese drawer, chopped a handful of spinach, and threw in a bit of Italian seasoning. I boiled 4 lasagna noodles (yup, only 4) to almost al dente, shocked them in ice water and began to roll.

I laid out all 4 noodles and spooned equal amounts of the cheese mixture onto each one, spreading it evenly along the noodle. I topped each one with chopped game hen and rolled them up. I topped them with a tomato alfredo sauce before popping them in the oven just long enough to warm it all back up and finish cooking the noodles.

One roll was definitely enough for a meal when served up with some green beans and a slice of garlic bread for dipping in the extra sauce!

I didn't really create a recipe as I went for this one. It's more of a 'see what you have in the fridge and season accordingly' kind of meal. It turns into a form of Italian sushi :p

So, pop open the door to your fridge, rummage around for those leftovers you're dreading to find a use for and wrap them up in some pasta!

As for the tomato alfredo, I can give you a recipe for that :)

Tomato Alfredo    Yields 4 servings

1 T butter
1 T flour
1/2 c milk
1/4 c parmesan cheese
Salt/pepper to taste
1 T tomato paste

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour until a thick paste forms. Keeping heat low, add milk and bring heat up slightly to warm. Whisk in cheese and tomato paste. Salt/pepper to taste. Bring to a slight simmer until desired consistancy is reached.

Some people like a thinner sauce, some thicker. You can always add more milk or cheese to thin or thick your sauce if needed.

As written, it has 50 calories per serving

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment