Saturday, April 13, 2013

Coffee Marinated Pork Loin with Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans



Normally, I am NOT a coffee fan. I can't stand the smell or flavor of it, so, needless to say, I was skeptical about making this pork. But, Cal likes coffee, and I thought he would like it, so I threw it in the mix. I have to say, it brought more of a roasted, caramel-y flavor with a hint of that coffee bite, and I was pretty impressed with the outcome. Even Emily ate it!

For the sides, I had found a recipe for something someone created as a play on a Brown Betty. As I made it, I wasn't happy with the way it was turning out, so I simply added a few things and turned them into loaded mashed potatoes with cheese melted on top (since I already had the ramekins out and ready to go). Also, I chose simple buttered green beans with a little bit of salt and pepper.


Pork

1.5 lb pork loin (Mine was more around 1 lb, and it worked just fine)
1 T instant coffee
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne

That's it. Simply combine everything, rub it onto the pork and let it marinate for at least 2 hours. I would not recommend doing it overnight, but while you're at work, or something like that should be fine. I don't know if the coffee would penetrate too deeply the longer it sits. I did 3 hours. When you're ready to go, cook your pork at 350 degrees for about an hour, or until it reaches 150-160 degrees.

Potatoes

I took 2 medium and 1 small potato, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces. Boil them as you would mashed potatoes. The part that got me was... you drain them, return them to the pot, and cook them for a couple of minutes to get rid of the excess water... This is where it went wrong for me. They were just too dry for my liking. So, here's what I would do.. next time:

boil your potatoes as per mashed. Drain.
Add:

1 T butter
1 T sour cream
2-3 T milk
1 slice crumbled bacon or bacon bits
1/8 c shredded cheddar cheese

Place in ramekins and top each with some extra cheese. Place in the oven when you take your pork out. As you let the pork rest, let the cheese melt, and then everything is ready at the same time ;)

Green Beans

I simply boil my beans to desired tenderness. I have to cook ours a little softer so Emily can eat them. Then, toss in a small bit of butter, some salt and some pepper, and viola: simple side.

All in all, it was pretty scrumptious. The recipe is definitely going in the box for another day :D

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment