Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Margherita Pizza


Pizza: The age old stand by for those nights you don't feel like cooking. Normally, on these nights, we would wind up ordering some kind of greasy, gooey goodness along with some wings, mozzarella sticks and probably some other kind of deep fried appetizer. But, since I've become dedicated to losing the rest of this baby weight, and our budget is not allowing for take out of any kind, homemade pizza it is.

I had thrown this baby into the meal plan because I had the fresh mozzarella to use up from our mozzarella stuffed meatballs. I already had some homemade pizza dough in the freezer from the last time I made dough and some homemade pizza sauce in the fridge, so tonight's dinner took practically no time to prepare, which was nice because Emily decided to get up early and nap late and this momma is tired!

I've decided that since I'm doing all of this meal planning, I'm going to start posting full meals. Unfortunately, this first one is just pizza, but I'll give you the recipe for the dough, sauce and assembly. 

I finally found a pizza dough I like and that is fairly low in calories. It has a nice flavor and texture and is especially delish as a thin crust! 

Dough -- Yields 4 small dough balls for 12" pizzas

1/2 cup warm water (between 110 and 112 deg)
2 1/4 tsp yeast (or one package)
4 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup room temperature water
2 T olive oil

In a mixer bowl with paddle attachment, combine your flour and salt. In a separate cup or bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Let it sit for 5 minutes, or until you begin to see bubbles (meaning the yeast is activating). Add the room temperature water and stir slightly. With mixer on low, add the water to the flour and salt. Add the oil as well. Mix until dough begins to form, and then switch to the dough hook. Let the mixer work for about 5 minutes or until the dough forms a ball on the hook and is fully formed. Let the dough rise for an hour in an oiled, covered bowl. Cut the dough into 4 equal sections to freeze some for later!

While your dough is rising, you can make a quick pizza sauce. It's basically the same as a marinara without any chunky tomatoes. While I don't have an actual recipe for this, I do have a list of what goes in mine.

1 can of plain tomato sauce
basil
oregano
marjoram
garlic powder (not salt!)
onion powder
salt 
pepper
usually a pinch of red pepper flake, though I've been omitting it because of Emily
Parmesan cheese

All, obviously, to taste.

To prep for the pizza itself I sliced about 3 ounces of fresh mozzarella and  half of a beefsteak tomato about a quarter inch thick. Instead of leaving my basil leaves whole, as would be traditional, I decided to chiffonade mine, again, so Emily could eat it. 

So, I roll out the dough, nice and thin. Top it with the pizza sauce, then tomato slices, mozzarella and basil on top. I throw it onto my preheated pizza stone (500 degrees) and cook it for about 10 minutes. Let it rest a couple of minutes to cool and set and viola, pizza night!

The best part about it, there's only 218 calories in 2 slices! 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment