Sunday, June 30, 2013

Recreating Flavors for Summertime Meals



I'm always looking for new ways to cook or flavor ground beef. It's become a staple in our house when work is slow and paychecks are low. I recently found this awesome recipe for Mongolian Beef that I was dying to try, but it's been in the upper 80's for the past week and I was extremely reluctant to fire up the stove since it increases the temperature in the house at least 5 degrees when I do so. 

Instead, I decided to take the recipe and break it down into hamburgers and an aioli. That way, I could fire up the grill and keep the heat outside. I did wind up using the stove for the sides, but it's hard to make rice on the grill.

So we wound up with Mongolian Beef Burgers with an aioli, steamed cilantro ginger and lime rice and broccoli. Yum!

Mongolian Beef Burgers (this one will make 4 1/4lb burgers)


1 lb ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 T soy sauce
3/4 T sesame oil
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne

Combine all ingredients and form into patties.

Aioli 

1 tsp white wine
1 tsp sherry
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 T brown sugar
1 tsp peanut butter
1/4 c mayonaisse
1 T scallions, sliced

Combine wine, sherry, vinegar, brown sugar and peanut butter. Whisk until well mixed and sugar is dissolved. Mix in mayo, fold in scallions.

Serve hamburger, grilled to preferred temp, with aioli.

I served mine on potato rolls because that's what I had on hand. I would suggest perhaps a pita or flatbread as well.

Cilantro Ginger and Lime Rice (serves 3)

1/2 c rice, uncooked
1 T lime juice
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 T cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook rice per instructions, adding lime juice to the water. Stir in cilantro, salt and pepper. 




Overall, without the bun, this one checks in at 470 calories per serving meal.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment