Monday, August 19, 2013

Orange Sriracha Glazed Chicken Kebabs



In this household, hot sauce is not an option. Well, at least on most things. Even Emily, at 18 months old, is a fan. So, when I find a recipe that calls for any type of hot sauce, it goes on the "must try" list.

I found an Orange and Sriracha Glazed Pork Chop recipe and decided to sub out some chicken breast chunks and make kebabs. The recipe calls for jarred (pickled) cherry peppers. I happen to be growing some in my garden this year, so I used those and added a little vinegar to make up for the pickled-ness of the store bought peppers. 

The recipe first calls to marinate your choice of protein in a garlic, cherry pepper, oil mixture. It's a quick 30 minute marinade, so nothing fancy. While your marinating your meat, make sure to soak your skewers too, if not using metal kebab skewers. You don't want them to burst into flame while grilling! You can also prepare your glaze while you wait. It consists of an orange juice, sriracha, soy sauce combo. Yum!

For my kebabs, I chose carrots, zucchini and some fresh cherry peppers. I chunked both the carrots and zucchini and removed the seeds from the peppers. I chose to par boil my carrots so that they would grill nicely but still be soft enough for Emily to easily eat. Boil them so they are still slightly crisp, but so a skewer will pass through with out any problems. Once they hit that point, be sure to shock them (drain the boiling water and immediately place them in ice water) to stop the cooking process. 

I lit my grill to hold a temperature around 300 degrees. I didn't want the chicken to dry out from cooking too quickly, but I still wanted it to get a nice 'grill marked' presentation. We use a charcoal grill. I, personally, find that it cooks and tastes better. If using a gas or electric grill, a medium heat will give you the desired result.

Ok, so onto the recipe!

Orange Sriracha Glazed Chicken Kebabs

Marinade:

1 clove garlic, minced
1 green onion, sliced
3 fresh cherry peppers, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 T olive oil
1 tsp vinegar
1 8-10oz chicken breast

Combine all ingredients, marinade chicken for 30 minutes. *if you do not have fresh peppers, use jarred and do not add the vinegar.

Glaze:

1/4 c fresh squeezed orange juice
1 T Sriracha sauce
2 T honey
1 T butter, melted
1 tsp soy sauce
1 fresh cherry pepper, minced
1/4 tsp vinegar

Combine all ingredients. Let rest. *again, if using a jarred pepper, do not add vinegar

When ready to cook, place kebabs on the hot grill, let cook about 3 minutes. Flip, and baste with glaze. Cook another 3 minutes, glaze again. Then, simply cook until chicken is done (165 deg), basting occasionally. They won't take long... about 15 minutes depending on the size of the chicken chunks.

I served them over brown rice seasoned with salt, pepper and green onions.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment