Saturday, February 22, 2014

Oreo Pancakes for the Birthday Girl



First, and foremost, I have to wish a very special Happy 2nd Birthday to my wonderful daughter. Without her, I would be lost, and this recipe may have never been created. Happy Birthday Emily!

Now, I wanted to make her something extra special for breakfast. She's a big pancake fan, and as I perused Pinterest for pancake ideas, it hit me; she's in love with Oreo cookies. I mean, who isn't, right? But in all seriousness, she is obsessed with them. So, I sat down with my pancake recipe and my copycat Oreo recipe, and I set the wheels a churnin'.

I stuck with a basic pancake batter and added in the flavors that make an Oreo, well, an Oreo, and this fantastic breakfast was created!

Oreo Pancakes
Yields about 2 cups of batter

3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 T white sugar
1 1/2 T brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp instant espresso
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 T butter, melted
1 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten.

As with any pancake batter, you simply combine all the dry ingredients, add the wet ones, mix until smooth, and viola! Pancake batter. Cook them off in a buttered pan or griddle.  

Now, you're wondering, what about the filling? You didn't feed her a ton of icing, did you?... No. The "cream" filling is simply that, a little homemade whipped cream that was leftover from making the mousse for her cake. No syrup needed here! 

So there ya have it, folks. My recipe yielded 12 pancakes for a grand total of 85 per cake. Add a few tablespoons of whipped cream on top, and you're right around 250 calories for breakfast (2 pancakes)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Now this is something the folks home are simply gonna love. Many thanks for the share, will definitely give it a try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete